The Outer

Deaths and Injuries in Stabbing Incident at Sydney Shopping Center

Translate by Sama Marwan,

Media reports indicated that at least four people, including a woman and her son, died in a stabbing incident at a shopping center in the Bondi area of Sydney, Australia, today, Saturday.

An unnamed police source, who was not authorized to speak publicly, stated that “many” people were in critical condition.

The source also mentioned that police shot the attacker, but it is unclear if the shot was fatal.

The tactical operations unit is also present at the scene, which occurred just before 4 p.m., when police confirmed that emergency services were called to Westfield after reports of multiple people being stabbed. People were urged to avoid the area.

Police stated, “Investigations into the incident are ongoing and no further details are available.”

Multiple social media posts show crowds fleeing as emergency services gather at the center.

Images and videos shared on social media show at least seven ambulances and six police cars outside the shopping center.

New South Wales Police confirmed that there was an ongoing police operation at the shopping center.

Ellie Williams, a 21-year-old, was finishing lunch on the upper floor of the food court at Westfield Bondi with her friend around 3:40 p.m. when she saw groups of people running and screaming.

Eyewitnesses reported that people were very confused and were running and shouting as a man was stabbing people on the lower floors.

They added that they heard three gunshots, and everyone started screaming.

Earlier, Australian police reported that a stabbing incident occurred in Sydney, mentioning that several people were attacked in a shopping center in the Bondi area.

According to Reuters, hundreds of people were evacuated from a Sydney shopping center after a stabbing attack, as reported by Australian media.

Police are conducting an operation at the busy shopping center near Bondi Beach following the suspected stabbing, according to the news site “AU News.”

Two witnesses told Reuters they heard gunshots.

One witness said they saw a woman lying on the ground before seeking refuge in a jewelry store.

New South Wales Police confirmed that there was an ongoing police operation but did not provide further details.

Numerous posts on social media showed crowds fleeing the shopping center and police and emergency services rushing to the area.

Related Articles

Back to top button